04 April 2007

Very Sad News

Karen Sparck-Jones passed away this morning. You can find more information about her here and in many other places on the web. I, personally, remember Karen as endlessly enthusiastic and always willing to push me to think about problems in new (and interesting) lights. She's been immensely important in both NLP and IR, and her death is an enormous loss to the field; I have greatly valued her contributions in DUC discussions, among other things. Many will miss her.

I'll leave this discussion with a quote from an email I have from her from only a few weeks ago, since I think it's something we should all think about, whatever our context:

Document collections is a much misumnderstood topic -- you have to think what its for and eg where (in retrieval) you are going to get real queries from. Just assembling some bunch of stuff and saying hey giys, what would you like to do with this is useless.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

酒店經紀PRETTY GIRL 台北酒店經紀人 ,禮服店 酒店兼差PRETTY GIRL酒店公關 酒店小姐 彩色爆米花酒店兼職,酒店工作 彩色爆米花酒店經紀, 酒店上班,酒店工作 PRETTY GIRL酒店喝酒酒店上班 彩色爆米花台北酒店酒店小姐 PRETTY GIRL酒店上班酒店打工PRETTY GIRL酒店打工酒店經紀 彩色爆米花